Paddington is an area of West London located between two Royal Parks, Notting Hill and the West End.
Historically, Paddington is famous for St. Mary’s Hospital, where Nobel Prize winner Sir Alexander Fleming revolutionised the world of medicine when he discovered penicillin. It is also the hospital where Prince’s William and Harry were born, and more recently Prince George and Princess Charlotte.
The quiet area near Paddington Station is a great place to stay during a visit to London. Not only does the station provide speedy access to the city’s iconic destinations, the neighbourhood has also become a haven for value priced hotels, including the London Shaftesbury hotels.
Travelling To and From Paddington
Trains to Paddington depart for, and arrive from, West and South West England and South Wales. London Paddington is also the main terminus for the Heathrow Express train to London Heathrow Airport.
You can transfer directly from your train into Paddington onto the Tube at the Station using the Hammersmith and City Line, Circle Line, District Line and the Bakerloo Line. Paddington Station is also well-served by London buses and London taxis, making it easy to continue your journey across the capital.
Having this great access to transit means when you arrive in London you can drop of your bags at a nearby hotel, such as Park Grand Paddington Court, and then get on with your first day of exploring quickly. Staying in Paddington means you won’t have to carry your luggage around the city, on and off transport, while trying to find your hotel.
Where to Eat and Drink in Paddington
Restaurants and cafes thrive in Paddington so you don’t have to travel too far to find a good bite to eat. Some of the most recommended restaurants and pubs in the area are:
- The famous Bridge House Pub on the canal and its acclaimed comedy show upstairs
- The Summerhouse and its sister restaurant The Waterway also sit next to the canal and offer beautiful views all year round.
- Zizzi Paddington
- Nipa Thai
In London, the best pubs are usually owned by local breweries. Fullers, is one London microbrewery and has two pubs in Paddington, The Swan and Victoria.
Things to Do in Paddington
It is only a short walk from Paddington station to Hyde Park and Kensington gardens, Regent’s Canal and the picturesque Little Venice with its beautiful canal boats, swans and Canadian geese.
Other activities and events to enjoy in Paddington include:
- See the world famous Thomas Hetherwick’s Rolling Bridge and Paddington’s Fan Bridge in action on Wednesdays and Fridays at midday.
- Step aboard the Puppet Theatre Barge for some unusual entertainment.
- Follow the waterside walk along Regent’s Canal to ZSL London Zoo.
- Enjoy Street Food on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Merchant Square and try to navigate through the world’s first water maze without getting wet.